Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Turkey Broccoli Cheese (& more) balls

Yes we are alive! I know its been a very long time........

Hubby always says why don't you write down what you make?
Did you save the recipe?
That was good, what was in it?

I love to cook, measuring and following recipes just isn't me. I throw a dash here and toss a spoonful there never to know exactly what was in that dish I just finished up.

Well the other night I had an idea in my head that I knew it would be awesome, so I measured instead of dashing and tossing and I wrote everything down as I did it.

The end result: Turkey Broccoli Cheese (& more) balls
egg & grain free can be dairy free if you use pecorino like I did

 Pictured here is L's plate

Please note this makes a large amount, enough for 3 meals or 2 meals with a few grab 'n go meat snacks, or if you're a smaller family it could possibly make 4/5 meals worth.

2.5 lbs ground turkey
1 tsp of each - salt, pepper, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, Italian herb mix
1 cup shredded pecorino cheese (or manchego or parmesan) 
1/2 red onion
1 cup cooked broccoli
1 cup cooked cauliflower

In a large bowl mix together turkey, cheese and seasonings

In food processor chop/grind/rice up onion, broccoli and cauliflower

Add veggies to meat and mix well

Form meat balls about 1 1/2 inches in size

I form out a cookie sheet worth at a time (24 balls), first set went in to cook, second set went in the freezer, it all depends on how many you need and want.
I also made meat snacks, I filled 6 muffin tins with the mixture, could have been another sheet of balls or it can even fit into a loaf pan if you wanted to.

For Meatballs: In covered pan on medium with olive oil brown up one side then flip and brown the other check for doneness.

For Meat Snacks: Grease the tin and bake at 350 for 30 mins, cool, wrap, refrigerate or freeze. If frozen pull one out when headed to bed and defrost in fridge for the next day. If defrosted zap for a few seconds.

Extra Meatballs: I freeze for a few minutes on the cookie sheet then pop into a freezer bag single layer. Just pull out in the morning and defrost in fridge for that nights dinner.


A's plate served with fresh red sauce, zucchini & sourdough

*The recipe itself is great for paleo primal low carb dairy free egg free :)

1 comment: